SPSS is free to install and use for TC students and faculty through the myTC Portal (my.tc.columbia.edu). (Staff members please email email@example.com)
1. To access SPSS, go to Student/Faculty Resources on the myTC portal. Find Academic Technology Resources. Click SPSS Home Use for Students and Faculty.
2. An info-sheet will open with information about the current version of SPSS, download instructions and activation key. Scroll over for your version.
3. Java will be required on your system in order to install SPSS. Download the latest version of Java for your desktop (https://www.java.com/en/download/) prior to installing SPSS.
4. If you have a Windows operating system, determine whether your computer is a 32bit or a 64bit. If you have a MAC, you can skip this step.
5. Check if you have the latest drivers for running SPSS. You can click on the link below for downloading and installing latest drivers (https://www-945.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/options?selectionBean.selectedTab=find&selection=SPSS).
6. Download SPSS v26 using the appropriate link for your operating system from the info-sheet.
7. Windows users: Right-click the downloaded file and choose "extract all." Open the resulting folder and run "setup.exe." Mac users: double click the downloaded file, click on "SPSS_Statistics_Installer."
8. Choose "Authorized User License" for the license type during the licensing authorization described below.
9. When the installation has completed, please choose "license my product now", and enter the activation code into the IBM SPSS License Activation Wizard when prompted.
10. The activation code can be found on the info-sheet when you go to your myTC portal (my.tc.columbia.edu) homepage. On the Student/Faculty Resources tab, click SPSS Home Use for Students and Faculty. The license key is only available to TC students and faculty and is updated periodically.
11. Please note that although you may get messages that your SPSS program will stop working at the end of August, there will be a grace period, and SPSS will not expire until the end of September of each year, before which time a new license code will be distributed.
12. The new license code might be for a newer updated version of SPSS and you won't lose any old data if you update your SPSS version.